6ABC Loves The Arts
Award winning cellist closes the Chamber Orchestra season
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - March 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia is wrapping up its season with music from a Grammy award-winning cellist.
The concert is a tribute to the classic and romantic periods with works spanning 2 centuries, from the early 1800s to the turn of the 20th century.
The program is called Schumann/Beethoven but it starts with a work from Finnish composer Jean Sibelius.
Peter Gistelinck, Executive Director, The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia says, "Actually a small piece that actually became pretty well-known on its own, and it's called Valse Triste."
Sibelius originally composed the piece for a play written by his brother-in-law. But the tune became an instant hit and has become one of Sibelius' signature works.
The Chamber Orchestra will also play Schumann's Cello Concerto in A Minor.
"Personally, I think it is one of the most beautiful cello concertos ever written and we have a wonderful soloist, Sara Sant'Ambrogio," added Gistelinck.
Sant'Ambrogio is a Grammy Award-winning Curtis alum and the founding member of the Eroica Trio, one of the most sought after trios in the world.
Gistelinck said, "The cello is often compared to the human voice and it really goes from extremely deep to extremely high but without losing intensity. You also need a great player who understands that and she really is wonderful.
The concert closes with Beethoven and the 7th of his 9 symphonies.
"Beethoven is a real transformational figure because when you go into his early works, you really see the pure classic composer and he really made that evolution to an early romantic composer and you really feel it already in the 7th Symphony," said Gistelinck.
The concert series runs April 15th through the 17th. You can find ticket and scheduling info at Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia.
love the arts, philadelphia, pennsylvania, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apartments 9 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
6 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
9 min ago