6ABC Loves The Arts
The 1950s era of jazz comes to life on stage
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - May 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- The 1950s era of cool, urban jazz comes to life on the stage with the Pennsylvania Ballet
The Ballet is called New York Export: Opus Jazz and it's a mix of modern and classical dance&.Broadway's West Side Story in ballet form.
When it debuted on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1958, Opus Jazz was an instant smash hit. It was choreographed by Jerome Robbins, best known for his work in film and Broadway. He directed West Side Story the year before.
Roy Kaiser, Artistic Director, PA Ballet says, "I've always loved the piece because I think it's a great piece for the newer younger dancers in the company because it's in the flavor of West Side Story.
Evoking the raw youth and energy of the cool urban 1950s, Opus Jazz is nicknamed 'ballet in sneakers' because the dancers wear keds instead of pointe shoes.
"We have nothing else like this in our repertoire. It's very accessible. You don't need to know anything about dance. It's just great, great movement and great music," said Kaiser.
The dancers will also perform Peter Martin's Barber Violin Concerto, a pas de duex, showcasing the range between classical and modern dance and put on the world premier of a newly commissioned work by choreographer-in-residence, Matthew Neenan.
The Ballet's production of New York Export: Opus Jazz runs this Thursday, May 31st through Sunday, June 3rd. For tickets and scheduling, go to Pennsylvania Ballet.
lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Teen injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos