6ABC Loves The Arts
Classical sounds at the Mann Center
FAIRMOUNT PARK - July 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's the sounds of classical music under the stars at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts
Both the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Pittsburgh Symphony will be at the Mann, this month, with everything from classical favorites to epic cinematic hits and for the first time ever at the Mann, the music of popular video games come to life.
It starts on July 19th with the critically acclaimed jazz instrumentalist, Chris Botti taking the stage with the Fabulous Philadelphians.
Catherine Cahill, President & CEO, The Mann Center said, "He is such a talented, amazing, engaging artist that once you experience Chris Botti, you'll be a fan for life."
On July 20th, it's an 80th birthday celebration of the music of Academy Award-winning filmmaker, John Williams.
"We could not be more thrilled with the great Philadelphia Orchestra to present some of the most popular film scores ever heard from ET to Star Wars to Schindler's List to Jaws," said Cahill.
On July 21st, it's a symphonic spectacular with fireworks exploding in the sky and stunning visuals on stage tied to the music.
Cahill added, "So when we do West Side Story, you will see great images from NYC in the 1950s. it is a remarkable pairing. When you see Ride of the Valkyries from Richard Wagner, you will see great cosmic images."
Then, on July 24th and 25th, the symphony from the other side of the state comes to town. The Pittsburgh Symphony will do a concert of Tchaikovsky and Dvorak and then perform the Legend of Zelda, a celebration of video game music.
"Zelda has been out now in the music place for many, many years so we can cross many generations and I think it will be a lot of fun for families of all sizes, all shapes and all ages," said Cahill.
For tickets and scheduling, go to the Mann.
music, love the arts, philadelphia, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler 17 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Driver, passenger hurt in Cheltenham Township crash
- Woman critically injured in Radnor Township house fire
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- Cloudy And Cooler
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos