6ABC Loves The Arts
New year, new maestro for Phila. Orchestra
PHILADELPHIA - December 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Orchestra is celebrating the New Year with its new maestro and one of the biggest stars of Hollywood and Broadway.
Yannick Nezet Seguin is only the 8th music director to lead the fabulous Philadelphians. He was last here in October and he returns in the New Year with a gift for his new adopted city.
For his first season, Yannick is giving the audience the composers and works of music he loves most.
In a program that kicks off January 16th, he performs pieces by Ravel and Shostakovich, who he calls the greatest symphonic composer after Beethoven.
"And this 5th symphony is famous not only because it's gorgeous music but because it was officially pretending to be a tribute to the regime. Actually it has a double message and double meaning, which is something quite rare in history," said Yannick.
The following week, he'll present the works of Wagner and Bruckner, whose 7th symphony is lush with the sounds of strings.
"We can hear villages having little parties on weekends. We can hear more intimate music that we would imagine him in his little house. He was a very, very charming man," said Yannick.
Yannick will also conduct the annual Academy Ball, which features guest artist Hugh Jackman, fresh off of his filming of Les Miserables.
"These musicians are so great - on an individual basis, they can play jazz, they can play Broadway. And that's why we want to collaborate with artists like Hugh Jackman," said Yannick.
Before Yannick arrives in Philadelphia, concertmaster David Kim will take the baton - a rare event where the concertmaster is also the conductor.
For the full schedule and tickets, go to Philorch.org/
love the arts, music, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- New sighting reported of missing student's car 54 min ago
- Mostly cloudy, humid today 49 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 45 min ago
- Victim ID'd in Deptford Township arson 52 min ago
- Housekeeper sentenced for Ben Franklin bust theft 7 min ago
- $1 million Powerball ticket sold in North Wales, Pa. 5 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms 57 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Sea Lion Worried About Little Girl
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
49 min ago
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
45 min ago
- New sighting reported of missing student's...
54 min ago
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos