6ABC Loves The Arts
Philadelphia Opera Company's new season
PHILADELPHIA - September 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Opera Company is opening its new season with a new production of an old classic.
It's Puccini's romantic blockbuster, La Boheme set in the Bohemian world of 19th century Paris. It will take the stage, this week, at the Academy of Music&.but there's also a free big screen broadcast on the lawn of Independence Mall.
La Boheme is the tragic story of Mimi, a struggling seamstress who falls in love with a poor poet, Rodolfo and then dies in his arms of tuberculosis.
Norah Amsellem who plays 'Mimi" in La Boheme said, "We've all fallen in love. We've all maybe not all but seen people die so everybody identifies with that somehow.
La Boheme is set in mid 19th century Paris, but the director modernizes the opera with HD projections of some of the artistic masterpieces that would have inspired the artists of the time&.including renowned works from the Barnes Foundation and the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
La Boheme opens at the Academy of Music, this Friday.
If you like your opera under the stars, there's a big-screen broadcast on Independence Mall the following Saturday, October 6th.
"I think it's great to touch different kinds of offices, certainly younger audiences, and I think La Boheme is the perfect opera to do that," said Amsellem.The Opera on the Mall is free but you do still have to register at Opera Company of Philadelphia.
There you can also find tickets and show times for the performances at the Academy.
music, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay 11 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast 30 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete 13 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally