6ABC Loves The Arts
Philadelphia Opera Company's new season
PHILADELPHIA - September 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Opera Company is opening its new season with a new production of an old classic.
It's Puccini's romantic blockbuster, La Boheme set in the Bohemian world of 19th century Paris. It will take the stage, this week, at the Academy of Music&.but there's also a free big screen broadcast on the lawn of Independence Mall.
La Boheme is the tragic story of Mimi, a struggling seamstress who falls in love with a poor poet, Rodolfo and then dies in his arms of tuberculosis.
Norah Amsellem who plays 'Mimi" in La Boheme said, "We've all fallen in love. We've all maybe not all but seen people die so everybody identifies with that somehow.
La Boheme is set in mid 19th century Paris, but the director modernizes the opera with HD projections of some of the artistic masterpieces that would have inspired the artists of the time&.including renowned works from the Barnes Foundation and the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
La Boheme opens at the Academy of Music, this Friday.
If you like your opera under the stars, there's a big-screen broadcast on Independence Mall the following Saturday, October 6th.
"I think it's great to touch different kinds of offices, certainly younger audiences, and I think La Boheme is the perfect opera to do that," said Amsellem.The Opera on the Mall is free but you do still have to register at Opera Company of Philadelphia.
There you can also find tickets and show times for the performances at the Academy.
music, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Boy killed in Chester accident ID'd
- Unsettled to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman pulled from Phila. collapse loses both legs
- Committee sets hearings on demolitions in Phila.
- Video: Dash cam view of Lindenwold school bus crash
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Monday's storms
- Multi-alarm fire at titanium plant in Berks
- Girl, 4, dies after crash that killed father
- Burlington taxi driver death ruled homicide, victim ID'd
- Photos: 7 arrests in Phila. prostitution cases
- Automatic renewal contracts
- Tracy ties it in 9th, but Phils win in bottom half