6ABC Loves The Arts
The Winslow Homer's exhibit of sea life
PHILADELPHIA - October 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Museum of Art is the scene of some stormy nights and rocky waters these days.
It's a new exhibit called Shipwreck! Winslow Homer and the Life Line&.and it's a collection of paintings exploring themes of sea life, disaster and rescue.
Kathleen Foster, Curator, American Art at the Philadelphia Museum of Art said, "Winslow Homer grew up by the sea. He made a reputation doing pictures of American everyday life.
Homer's Life Line is the centerpiece of the exhibit. It was his first painting about human trials with the sea.
"It's a fantastic story of rescue with a burly and mysterious coast guard guy rescuing a beautiful girl from a shipwreck. It's an adventure tale that has been thrilling from 1884 when it was painted to today," added Foster.
The Life Line's depiction of a disheveled woman embraced in rescue by her male counterpart sparked controversy in its time.
"This is a painting from 1884 when I would have to say the public morals were pretty buttoned up. He makes the subject very exciting to his public by showing her soaked so that the drapery clings to her body. They got very excited by that little flash of skin at the knee," said Foster.
While the image was considered racy, The Life Line's portrayal of what was then new technology was revolutionary.
Foster added, "The rope that is from side to side is going from a ship in distress to the beach and you can see which way the group is moving by the droplets of water on the rope."
Homer is the star of the show, but the exhibit also features works by other significant shipwreck painters, including Edward Moran and Thomas Birch.
"It's only being shown in Philadelphia so this is a single chance," said Foster.
Shipwreck! runs through December 16th. For tickets, visit the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
philadelphia museum of art, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in W. Phila. 30 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged 40 min ago
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more