6ABC Loves The Arts
Tis the season for the "Nutcracker"
PHILADELPHIA - November 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- For many families, it wouldn't be the holidays without the Nutcracker. But this year, a local dance school is giving the classic tale a distinctly Philadelphia twist.
The Rock School of Dance calls its show Nutcracker 17-76. Instead of being set in a parlor during Victorian times, it takes place at City Tavern in the heyday of Colonial- era Philadelphia.
The basic story elements are the same& two children entrusted with a magical Nutcracker embark on the adventures of a lifetime&. and it's set to Tchaikovsky's familiar Nutcracker score. But Nutcracker 17-76 has a revolutionary theme.
Bo Spassoff, President & Director of Rock School for Dance Education said, "Ben Franklin is one of the central characters and George Washington makes an appearance and Thomas Jefferson."
"They're British soldiers as huge mice and so we have a wonderful snow scene with lots of snow and then the second act is a lot of athletic dancing," Spassoff continued.
The Rock School teaches the art of dance to students from all over the world. Many will go on to become professional ballerinas and Broadway and film stars. Nutcracker 17-76 features a cast of nearly 200 and it condenses the classic tale to a faster-paced, more action-packed hour long version.
Stephanie Spassoff, Artistic Director of Rock School for Dance Education added, "Oh it's Nutcracker and Nutcracker is for a young person-especially girls, I think it just has a special magic. And so it's really geared to a family to be able to go in and have the little ones as well as the older ones enjoy it."
Nutcracker 17-76 will play December 1st at the Merriam Theatre and December 8th at Centennial Hall at the Haverford School. Go to The Rock School for show times and tickets.
holidays, theater, love the arts, philadelphia, haverford township, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police