6ABC Loves The Arts
Musical performances that inspire the world
PHILADELPHIA - November 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Their stories and musical performances have inspired the world and now they're coming to Philadelphia's Kimmel Center for the first time ever.
The Simon Bolivar Symphony Orchestra is made up of young professional musicians from Venezuela. All grew up in poverty and went through a system of education known as El Sistema where music becomes an engine for social change.
Matt Wolf, VP of Programming, The Kimmel Center said, "It's a really nice combination of achievement, success and belief and all of that sort of transforms into the way that they handle the music, the way that they interpret it, the energy that they just bring, and obviously any time you get an opportunity to watch Gustavo Dudamel in Philadelphia it's just something you shouldn't miss."
Dudamel is the orchestra's conductor and he comes from the same humble Venezuelan roots. He is just 31 years old and he also leads the Los Angeles Philharmonic and is a superstar in the world of classical music.
"He, I think really elevated this program, the Simon Bolivar program and Sistema program to a level that is really infectious," added Wolf.
The Sistema system uses music to transform lives and is so successful it's been modeled around the world, including here in Philadelphia.
The program is a mix of Latin American music and a classic Alpine Symphony.
"It is exciting. It's passionate, it is inspiring ," said Wolf.
The performance is December 5th at 8pm in the Kimmel Center's Verizon Hall. Tickets are going fast. You can get them at the Kimmel Center.
music, philadelphia, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 50 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 27 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 19 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 23 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 12 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
14 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
32 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
29 min ago