6ABC Loves The Arts
Musical performances that inspire the world
PHILADELPHIA - November 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Their stories and musical performances have inspired the world and now they're coming to Philadelphia's Kimmel Center for the first time ever.
The Simon Bolivar Symphony Orchestra is made up of young professional musicians from Venezuela. All grew up in poverty and went through a system of education known as El Sistema where music becomes an engine for social change.
Matt Wolf, VP of Programming, The Kimmel Center said, "It's a really nice combination of achievement, success and belief and all of that sort of transforms into the way that they handle the music, the way that they interpret it, the energy that they just bring, and obviously any time you get an opportunity to watch Gustavo Dudamel in Philadelphia it's just something you shouldn't miss."
Dudamel is the orchestra's conductor and he comes from the same humble Venezuelan roots. He is just 31 years old and he also leads the Los Angeles Philharmonic and is a superstar in the world of classical music.
"He, I think really elevated this program, the Simon Bolivar program and Sistema program to a level that is really infectious," added Wolf.
The Sistema system uses music to transform lives and is so successful it's been modeled around the world, including here in Philadelphia.
The program is a mix of Latin American music and a classic Alpine Symphony.
"It is exciting. It's passionate, it is inspiring ," said Wolf.
The performance is December 5th at 8pm in the Kimmel Center's Verizon Hall. Tickets are going fast. You can get them at the Kimmel Center.
music, philadelphia, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 30 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014