6ABC Loves The Arts
Newly designed Philadelphia History Museum
PHILADELPHIA - January 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- It's a celebration of Philly beer, Philly sports fans and hundreds of objects that represent the ordinary and the extraordinary here in the City of Brotherly Love and it's all on display at the Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent.
The Philadelphia History Museum just reopened, this past fall, after a 3 year renovation project. The newly designed galleries include more than 100 iconic objects that cover 330 years of Philadelphia history.
There's everything from Joe Frazier's boxing gloves and Bobby Clark's hockey stick to George Washington's desk and General George Meade's sword&even a stuffed dog named Philly.
"As a puppy, she was smuggled to France on a troop ship by the 315th infantry, which is Philadelphia's own, and served in WWl in France and was even decorated," said Charles Croce, Exec. Dir & CEO, Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent.
The new galleries now have interactive iPads so you can learn more about anything that interests you. The 'Made' in Philadelphia gallery celebrates the city's history as workshop of the world. The inaugural exhibit covers beer making in a city that was once home to 95 breweries. There's also a 'Played' in Philadelphia gallery honoring Phillies fans.
Croce added, "It's what the fans think and how they express themselves in talking about their hometown team so those two galleries will change out every 4 months or so, so you'll always have a different experience when you come to this museum."
In the portraits gallery, there are images of famous Philadelphians like Washington and William Penn&.as well as ordinary citizens of means in the 1700s. And here, you can become part of the exhibit.
"You can stand behind a wonderful authentic frame and take your own picture and send it to us by email and then we'll post it on our website and in the gallery," added Croce.
For hours and ticketing info, go to the Philadelphia History Museum.
love the arts, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 26 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 55 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 53 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos