6ABC Loves The Arts
Newly designed Philadelphia History Museum
PHILADELPHIA - January 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- It's a celebration of Philly beer, Philly sports fans and hundreds of objects that represent the ordinary and the extraordinary here in the City of Brotherly Love and it's all on display at the Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent.
The Philadelphia History Museum just reopened, this past fall, after a 3 year renovation project. The newly designed galleries include more than 100 iconic objects that cover 330 years of Philadelphia history.
There's everything from Joe Frazier's boxing gloves and Bobby Clark's hockey stick to George Washington's desk and General George Meade's sword&even a stuffed dog named Philly.
"As a puppy, she was smuggled to France on a troop ship by the 315th infantry, which is Philadelphia's own, and served in WWl in France and was even decorated," said Charles Croce, Exec. Dir & CEO, Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent.
The new galleries now have interactive iPads so you can learn more about anything that interests you. The 'Made' in Philadelphia gallery celebrates the city's history as workshop of the world. The inaugural exhibit covers beer making in a city that was once home to 95 breweries. There's also a 'Played' in Philadelphia gallery honoring Phillies fans.
Croce added, "It's what the fans think and how they express themselves in talking about their hometown team so those two galleries will change out every 4 months or so, so you'll always have a different experience when you come to this museum."
In the portraits gallery, there are images of famous Philadelphians like Washington and William Penn&.as well as ordinary citizens of means in the 1700s. And here, you can become part of the exhibit.
"You can stand behind a wonderful authentic frame and take your own picture and send it to us by email and then we'll post it on our website and in the gallery," added Croce.
For hours and ticketing info, go to the Philadelphia History Museum.
love the arts, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Suspects in $14-million marijuana bust 19 min ago
- Showers, thunderstorms today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa. 3 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment 1 min ago
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup