6ABC Loves The Arts
Newly designed Philadelphia History Museum
PHILADELPHIA - January 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- It's a celebration of Philly beer, Philly sports fans and hundreds of objects that represent the ordinary and the extraordinary here in the City of Brotherly Love and it's all on display at the Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent.
The Philadelphia History Museum just reopened, this past fall, after a 3 year renovation project. The newly designed galleries include more than 100 iconic objects that cover 330 years of Philadelphia history.
There's everything from Joe Frazier's boxing gloves and Bobby Clark's hockey stick to George Washington's desk and General George Meade's sword&even a stuffed dog named Philly.
"As a puppy, she was smuggled to France on a troop ship by the 315th infantry, which is Philadelphia's own, and served in WWl in France and was even decorated," said Charles Croce, Exec. Dir & CEO, Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent.
The new galleries now have interactive iPads so you can learn more about anything that interests you. The 'Made' in Philadelphia gallery celebrates the city's history as workshop of the world. The inaugural exhibit covers beer making in a city that was once home to 95 breweries. There's also a 'Played' in Philadelphia gallery honoring Phillies fans.
Croce added, "It's what the fans think and how they express themselves in talking about their hometown team so those two galleries will change out every 4 months or so, so you'll always have a different experience when you come to this museum."
In the portraits gallery, there are images of famous Philadelphians like Washington and William Penn&.as well as ordinary citizens of means in the 1700s. And here, you can become part of the exhibit.
"You can stand behind a wonderful authentic frame and take your own picture and send it to us by email and then we'll post it on our website and in the gallery," added Croce.
For hours and ticketing info, go to the Philadelphia History Museum.
love the arts, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking 25 min ago
- Record Warmth! 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall...
25 min ago
- Record Warmth!
10 min ago