6ABC Loves The Arts
Midsummer Night's Dream at the Academy
CENTER CITY - February 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Shakespeare's romantic comedy, Midsummer Night's Dream, is hitting the dance floor at the Pennsylvania Ballet.
It's George Balanchine's production of Midsummer Night's Dream. The Ballet first premiered it 25 years ago but this year they're doing a re-design of the original production, with a glittery new set and costumes.
The first act tells the story in pure Shakespearean comedy fashion.
Roy Kaiser, Artistic Director, PA Ballet said, "It really involves around Puck, who just kind of sticks his nose in the wrong places and creates a lot of confusion and partners get mixed up and they become amorous for the wrong partner. It's just a lot of fun."
The second act is a demonstration of dance, a showcase of the ballerinas' technical skills and beautiful movement.
"The pas de deux itself is very emotional, very physically demanding as well," said Kaiser.
It's set to Mendelssohn's lush score with magical costumes and set pieces that create a fantasy land setting.
"It was designed by Martin Pakledinaz, a wonderful Tony award winning designer. There are 24 fireflies and bugs and they're all young students from the school of the PA ballet," said Kaiser.
"It has all of the dance that hard-core ballet fans look for but the storytelling is so clear and concise. It just makes you feel good," Kaiser continued.
Midsummer Night's Dream will play March 7th through the 17th at the Academy of Music.
For tickets and show times, visit the Pennsylvania Ballet.
theater, center city, philadelphia, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow 5 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 50 min ago
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents 49 min ago
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 48 min ago
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt 55 min ago
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery 51 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 43 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 41 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
45 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire...
50 min ago
- Rescuers airlift horse out of Angeles...
39 min ago