6ABC Loves The Arts
Mann summer concerts: Disney, the Dead and sports
FAIRMOUNT PARK - June 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- The summer season at the Mann Center is under way, and there are classical concerts celebrating everything from Disney, the Grateful Dead to the greatest moments in Philadelphia sports history.
The Mann just had a makeover, with new seats and a much bigger lawn, which means even more amazing city skyline views to look at while you listen.
On June 25th, The Pittsburgh Symphony will showcase the music of Jerry Garcia with former Allman Brothers guitarist Warren Haynes playing Garcia's original guitar.
Catherine Cahill, President & CEO of The Mann Center said, "This is a first for the Mann. We are bringing together the great talents of the Pittsburgh Symphony in spectacular arrangements of music that everyone who has been a Grateful Dead fan for decades will know and recognize.
Two days later The Pittsburgh Symphony will do Pixar in concert. Movie clips from the Toy Story trilogy, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, and Brave will play on a giant Jumbotron with the Symphony playing the soundtrack live.
"These are award-winning composers and of course Randy Newman is now in the hall of fame and has been designated a Disney legend," said Cahill..
Disney's Fantasia is the star of the show July 23rd with the Philadelphia Orchestra. The Fabulous Philadelphians appeared in the original 1940s film.
Cahill added, "This is the opening night of the Philadelphia Orchestra and it was particularly important for us because this work is signature to the Philadelphia Orchestra."
The next night it's the Symphonic Sports-tacular. The Philadelphia Orchestra accompanying images of the greatest moments in sports history from the Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, Flyers and the Union.
"There will be moments of Bloopers to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake in slow motion. There will be music from Star Wars showcasing some of the most powerful moments of our great eagles," said Cahill.
If you have children in sports, send pictures to the Mann and they'll play those on the giant screen as well. For details, go to Mann Center.
lifestyle, music, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man dressed as Santa struck on I-95
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving 50 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Man shot, killed in West Oak Lane
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
- Underground transformer fire in Center City
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
50 min ago