6ABC Loves The Arts
Walnut Theatre presents "Grease Lightning"
PHILADELPHIA - June 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Those summer nights are upon us. If you hand-jive over to the Walnut Street Theatre, you can catch a little Grease Lightning.
The Walnut Street Theatre has a new production of Hollywood and Broadway's smash hit, Grease. And, while the production may be new, it still has all those unforgettable songs that will take you back to a time when bobby socks and bomber jackets were all the rage.
Known as the 'original High School Musical', Grease tells the story of bad boy, Danny who has a summer fling with do-gooder Sandy. But when school resumes in the fall their different worlds collide.
Laura Giknis, "Sandy" says, "if they can come in and willing to be transported back to that time where like the simpler time of what was important was asking that girl out on a date or what car you were going to drive."
Grease is one of the longest running shows in Broadway history, popular for its catchy musical numbers, fun dances, and retro costumes.
"The dresses are amazing so you see like tulle and fabric and there's Danny like, Danny, Danny I keep calling him Danny. Matty's like lifting these girls up and they're flying through the air like it's a carnival with all these dresses," said Giknis.
It's a show for the whole family, with music that will take adults back to their youth and have kids dancing in their seats.
Matthew Ragas, "Danny" said, "We had a little girl here the other day, it was her first musical and she was in heaven and you know her parents were here afterward and they love every bit of it."
Grease plays at the Walnut Street Theatre until July 21st.
For tickets and show times go to Walnut Street Theatre.
lifestyle, theater, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 8 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 51 min ago
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos