6ABC Loves The Arts
Philadelphia celebrates 4 days of black cinema
PHILADELPHIA - July 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- This week, Philadelphia is the scene of a 4-day celebration of black cinema.
The BlackStar Film festival runs from this Thursday, August 1st through Sunday, the 4th. Last year was the inaugural year, and it was such a success, Ebony Magazine dubbed it 'Black Sundance.'
Now in its second year, the BlackStar Film festival has doubled in size with 75 films from 4 continents, all by and about people of African descent.Maori Holmes, Founder of Black Star Film Festival said, "We're looking for films that are artistically excellent, that are pushing the boundaries that they're in. We're looking for films that shift the stereotypes that we often see of black people internationally."
About half of the screenings are free. There are also panel discussions and meet and greets with the filmmakers.
"One of the films we're really excited to screen is Mother of George by Andrew Dosunmu. It won best cinematography at Sundance," said Holmes.
Holmes continued, "We also have a film called Tey, which is a French film but it's set in Senegal and that film is sort of like a magical realism.""We're showing a preview of a film called Pull of Gravity . It's also a really wonderful film about recidivism and they looked at a particular neighborhood in North Philadelphia." The festival runs 11am to 11pm each day. Most of the screening are at the International House in University City.
The festival runs 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. each day. Most of the screening are at the International House in University City.
Managing Director of Black Star Film Fest Denise Beek said, "Several shorts, several features, several documentaries, just a wide variety. We intend for people to kind of come and just stay and take full advantage."
Most of the films are Philly premieres and some are world premieres. For the complete schedule, go to BlackStar Film Festival.
lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville 7 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Suspects caught on camera prior to car theft 51 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large 11 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park 49 min ago
- Gloucester Twp. school put on precautionary lockout
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 46 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies