6ABC Loves The Arts
Arts, culture and music at Eakins Oval
PHILADELPHIA - August 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Benjamin Franklin Parkway is known as Philadelphia's museum row. But this summer you can take in the arts and culture of the boulevard while lounging on the beach or taking a dive into the deep blue sea.
Eakins Oval has been converted into a pop-up beach and redubbed simply 'The Oval. Each day has a different theme; Wednesdays are dedicated to Arts and Culture and Saturdays to live music.
Mural Arts painted the Eakins Oval parking lot to look like a giant beach blanket and boardwalk with beach balls, lifeguard chairs, sandboxes and mister fans.
"We kind of wanted to liven up the art, make it really fun and exciting," said Marc Wilken, Parks Concessions Manager of the Phila. Parks & Rec. Dept.
The project is run by the city's parks and rec department. Arts and culture Wednesdays feature free art classes during the day.
In the evening, you can lounge to the sounds of free live music.
Need a break from the sun and sand? Take a trip to the sea with the Academy of Natural Sciences' exhibit called 'Glow: Living Lights'.
"That showcases a large group of animals that is in the middle ocean, and 90% of the animals that live there produce their own light," said Jennifer Sontchi, Director of Exhibits, ANS.
It's called bioluminescence. Animals produce light to attract mates or protect against predators.
"So that they blend in with the water below them in this area called the twilight zone and it saves their lives, makes them invisible," said Sontchi.
The exhibit also features other creatures like the backyard firefly and the glow in the dark scorpion.
They'll glow anywhere from a bluish green color to a yellow depending on the species.
Glow runs through September 29th, and all of the details are at The Academy of Natural Sciences.
The pop up beach is at the Oval through August 18th. The complete schedule of events is at City of Philadelphia.
lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 6 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 27 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 29 min ago
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 9 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 39 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 32 min ago
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 19 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 38 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 40 min ago
- Video: Pa. contender iin Sriracha search for new... 29 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
6 min ago
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
22 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
27 min ago