6ABC Loves The Arts
Philly History Museum's AUTH-entic Exhibit
October 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Tony Auth was a Pulitzer Prize-winning political cartoonist for the Philadelphia Inquirer for more than 40 years and the Philadelphia History Museum has pulled together some of his Philly-centric drawings for an exhibit called AUTH-entic Philadelphia.
Over the decades, Tony Auth's cartoons poked fun at City Council members and Mayors. He commented on the public school system and transit and criticized pay to play and corruption.
The Philadelphia History Museum's Executive Director & CEO Charles Croce describes Auth's works as "very poignant. He's very topical. He's contemporary and he makes you stop and think, and then you smile. "
As a cartoonist for the Inquirer, Auth produced 5 drawings a week. That's nearly 10,000 over the span of his career. For the exhibit, Croce says, they curated about 50 of Auth's works. "This museum is not only for residents but it's for people who come in from all over the world," says Croce, "and we thought some of these ideas that are expressed here with government, with mayors, would resonate with anyone who walked in."
Visitors can watch a video on Auth's creative process. The artist also loaned one of his work tables, which is filled with the cartoons he's now producing digitally. Croce says they change out the digital cartoons on a daily basis, "so, as people come in, they can see what he's creating electronically."
AUTH-entic Philadelphia is only the second exhibit to live in the newly refurbished Philadelphia History Museum's Played in Philadelphia gallery. Croce says, "the idea of this gallery is to always talk about Phillies, entertainment, whether it's sports or music or theatre." AUTH-entic Philadelphia will be open at least through the end of January.
If you go to www.TheArtsInPhilly.org, you can learn the history of the Philadelphia History Museum and buy tickets. Or you can visit 6abc.com's Entertainment Channel to find out about other area events.
6abc loves the arts
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks 56 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 22 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 29 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 52 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash 58 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
56 min ago