6ABC Loves The Arts
Kimmel Center's Chamber Organ
January 5, 2014 (WPVI) -- The Kimmel Center's world-famous organ is taking center stage.
The organ was made for the Kimmel Center when it opened in late 2001, and it remains the largest mechanical-action concert hall organ in America. The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia is putting on a Sunday matinee concert to showcase the instrument in its full glory. The Chamber Orchestra usually performs in the Kimmel's Perelman Theatre but, for this concert, they're moving to Verizon Hall, home of the Fred J. Cooper Memorial Organ. "We've tried to compile a number of composers who've been very important in the organ repertoire," says Peter Gistelinck, Executive director of the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia.
The concert will take listeners through time-from 18th century organ music written by Handel to contemporary composers. "It's an ideal program for audience members to discover this wonderful instrument," says Gistelinck. "I mean we are actually lucky because the 3 organ soloists that we have with us in this program are all local."
Gistelinck says 20th century Belgian composer Josef Jongen, who wrote one of the pieces the Chamber will perform, also has local ties. "He's the composer who was commissioned at the time by Mr. Wanamaker to write an organ concerto for the Wanamaker organ."
The concert will also include a work written by the Chamber's Music Director, Dirk Brosse-a violin concerto that incorporates the organ.
"I think it will be a really nice program where the organ is featured with an orchestra but through different composers," says Gistelinck. "Organ has a lot of possibilities and a lot of colors that can be created."
The Chamber Orchestra's performance is set for Sunday afternoon, January 19th. It's one concert only. For tickets, go to www.TheArtsinPhilly.org.
Or you can visit 6abc.com's Entertainment Channel to find out about other area events.
6abc loves the arts
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 8 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 19 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges 18 min ago
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County 33 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 14 min ago
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 6 min ago
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
8 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
19 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos