Britain revokes wedding invite for Syria envoy
LONDON (AP) - April 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- Britain has revoked a royal wedding invitation to the Syrian ambassador.
Human rights groups have criticized the decision to invite ambassador Sami Khiyami to Prince William and Kate Middleton's nuptials. More than 450 people have been killed in the uprising against President Bashar Assad's authoritarian regime.
The government says ambassadors from all countries with which Britain has "normal diplomatic relations" have been invited - some 185 in all.
But it said Thursday that the Syrian ambassador's presence would be "unacceptable" and he won't attend.
england, london, prince william, kate middleton, royal wedding
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Pedestrian struck by car in Milford, Del. gets cited
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Video: Father, son to graduate college together
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen