Britain revokes wedding invite for Syria envoy
LONDON (AP) - April 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- Britain has revoked a royal wedding invitation to the Syrian ambassador.
Human rights groups have criticized the decision to invite ambassador Sami Khiyami to Prince William and Kate Middleton's nuptials. More than 450 people have been killed in the uprising against President Bashar Assad's authoritarian regime.
The government says ambassadors from all countries with which Britain has "normal diplomatic relations" have been invited - some 185 in all.
But it said Thursday that the Syrian ambassador's presence would be "unacceptable" and he won't attend.
england, london, prince william, kate middleton, royal wedding
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 33 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 5 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
5 min ago