TUNED IN to THE PHILLY FOLK PARADE
May 23, 2010 (WPVI) -- Our featured Tuned In artists this week are The Philly Folk Parade. They are actually a collaborative group comprised of over 40 local artists. This local music community initiative is spear headed Spinning Leaves member, Barbara Gettes, and Hezekiah Jones, among others. Since many of them are the most popular artists in our area, fans have referred to them as a local All-Star group. They are currently playing at The Fire, in Philadelphia. Look for the Philly Folk Parade to make a stop at a local venue near you soon.
We caught up with them during a show at The General Lafayette Inn, in Lafayette Hill, PA.
Here is some more information as provided by the group.
The Philly Folk Parade is a sounding bell of human musical freedom and a celebration of brotherly love! Made of the intermingling inspirations and revelry of 30 to 40 Philadelphia artists, it is absolutely alive with the sounds of people power - a stage busting full of stomps, claps, choirs, and movement. The Philly Folk Parade is organized around the premise that building community empowers everyone, and to that end, the collective is responsible for a series of large concerts and a tour with the aim of showcasing to the world the incredibly vibrant music scene of Philadelphia and the flourishing new folk movement blooming in its streets.
Organized by local 'folk stars' the Spinning Leaves and Hezekiah Jones, the Folk Parade's Fire residency will provide a rotating cast of local musicians sharing the stage for four memorable nights of independent music. A different local artist will host each date of the residency, with the Great Unknown hosting on 5/4, the Spinning Leaves on 5/11, Chris Kasper on 5/18 and Hezekiah Jones on 5/25. An early list of artists set to perform features tons of local favorites, including Cowmuddy, Hoots and Hellmouth, Joshua Park, Jim Boggia,Toy Soldiers,Wissahickon Chicken Shack, Andrew Lipke and many, many more. Don't miss out on a single night of this surely memorable residency!
You are now Tuned In to The Philly Folk Parade.
On the web-
tuned in, tuned in
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ