TUNED IN to CHRIS KASPER
Our featured Tuned In artist this week is Chris Kasper. He is a singer songwriter from the Philadelphia area with a huge loyal fan base. Fans are quick to point out the many wonderful reviews, and buzz around the national AAA music scene for his work.
We caught up with him at the General Lafayette Inn, in Lafayette Hill, PA, during a special performance with The Philly Folk Parade.
He shared his thoughts on where he draws inspiration for his writing and the intimate connection he shares with his fans while performing.
Please enjoy his biography.
Kasper is a songwriter's songwriter, an artist who won devoted fans and awards seemingly from the moment he released his first record, a demo recorded in a friend's living room in 2002. Kasper soon relocated to Philadelphia, where he has built a devoted following not only of music lovers, but of his fellow songwriters and musicians. Kasper maintains that his peers remain his most important audience, and they often can be found singing every word along with him at his shows, even on songs that have never been released.
"FlyingBoy", released in 2006, earned more fans and gushing reviews, mixing "warm, graceful melodies" (The Intelligencer) with an energy rarely achieved in an acoustic setting. "Not everyone can take an acoustic guitar and make it groove like a full band," one reviewer observed, but Kasper "delivers astounding results" (Performing Songwriter). Kasper further expanded his audience with his folks-bluegrass band The Lowlands, whose full-length "Bark & Twine" made a sensational debut at the 2007 Philadelphia Folk Festival, further establishing Kasper as a songwriter of rare depth and intensity.
"Chasing Another Sundown" is Kasper's first fully produced studio recording, expanding on the "signature dreamy acoustic sound" (PLAY Magazine) heard on "FlyingBoy", while featuring the artist's gift for haunting phrases and refrains. "It's ambient and water-like in that it surrounds you," Kasper says. "It's got a real country vibe as well as a real folk vibe, but with more modern elements than you expect."
You are now Tuned In to Chris Kasper.
tuned in, tuned in
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos