TUNED IN to The MLMs
Our featured Tuned In band this week is The MLMs.
This local Indie Rock band has not only earned high marks from their Philadelphia area fan base, but also from the national recording industry. Members of this band incorporate various genres into their sound. Their lead singer Ben O'Neill was nominated for a 2010 Grammy Award- Best Urban/Alternative Performance.
Their latest release is filled with contributions from extremely accomplished artists such as co-producer/drummer, Brett Baker, who happens to be Jay-Z's percussionist.
We caught up with them during a special recording session at The Blinkin Lincoln in Roxborough.
Please enjoy their biography.
The MLMs are a vibrantly melodic four-piece rock band from Philadelphia fronted by 2010 Grammy nominee Ben O'Neill (vocals, guitars) and Chris Gibbons (vocals, guitars, keys). A graduate of Philadelphia's University of the Arts and a former student of jazz guitar legends Pat Martino and Jimmy Bruno, Ben has toured and performed with Common, Christina Aguilera, Musiq Soulchild, Erykah Badu, will.i.am, Cee-Lo, Bilal, Eric Roberson, and Tye Tribbett. After studying jazz and working with some of the best talents in the worlds of R&B, Hip-Hop, and Gospel, Ben decided to return to the music of his childhood and form a rock band with his old friend Chris. A tender-voiced singer with an intuitive sense of melody, Chris has toured internationally with Penn State University's Essence of Joy Alumni Singers and shared the stage with Sweet Honey In The Rock. The result is a band that plays better rock music than you've heard in years--energized, catchy, and deceptively simple. They stole the Beach Boys' background vocals, John Lennon's grit, and Elvis Costello's muse.
On their newest release,The Corduroy Pants EP, they deliver superbly crafted pop gems with soaring harmonies and contagious choruses. With the help of co-producer/drummer Brett Baker (Jay-Z's percussionist and producer for Grammy-nominated R&B artist Eric Roberson), The MLMs effortlessly transition from the booty-shaking title track to the nostalgic whimsy of "Emma Please." The EP is rounded out by the contributions of bassist Joann Schmidt (formerly of IKE), Grammy-nominated producer/songwriter Dana Sorey (organ) and Grammy-nominated urban/alternative sensation Muhsinah (vocals).
The MLMs have performed at many clubs in Philadelphia including World Café Live and The Trocadero, as well as numerous clubs in New York City. You are now Tuned In to The MLMs!
tuned in, tuned in
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bitter Blast Thursday 47 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 29 min ago
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3 44 min ago
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station 3 min ago
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall 30 min ago
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro
- Bitter Blast Thursday
47 min ago
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
44 min ago
- Police: Camden Man robbed 5 banks in 1 month
45 min ago
- Person, cat rescued from New Castle fire
46 min ago