TUNED IN to The MLMs
Our featured Tuned In band this week is The MLMs.
This local Indie Rock band has not only earned high marks from their Philadelphia area fan base, but also from the national recording industry. Members of this band incorporate various genres into their sound. Their lead singer Ben O'Neill was nominated for a 2010 Grammy Award- Best Urban/Alternative Performance.
Their latest release is filled with contributions from extremely accomplished artists such as co-producer/drummer, Brett Baker, who happens to be Jay-Z's percussionist.
We caught up with them during a special recording session at The Blinkin Lincoln in Roxborough.
Please enjoy their biography.
The MLMs are a vibrantly melodic four-piece rock band from Philadelphia fronted by 2010 Grammy nominee Ben O'Neill (vocals, guitars) and Chris Gibbons (vocals, guitars, keys). A graduate of Philadelphia's University of the Arts and a former student of jazz guitar legends Pat Martino and Jimmy Bruno, Ben has toured and performed with Common, Christina Aguilera, Musiq Soulchild, Erykah Badu, will.i.am, Cee-Lo, Bilal, Eric Roberson, and Tye Tribbett. After studying jazz and working with some of the best talents in the worlds of R&B, Hip-Hop, and Gospel, Ben decided to return to the music of his childhood and form a rock band with his old friend Chris. A tender-voiced singer with an intuitive sense of melody, Chris has toured internationally with Penn State University's Essence of Joy Alumni Singers and shared the stage with Sweet Honey In The Rock. The result is a band that plays better rock music than you've heard in years--energized, catchy, and deceptively simple. They stole the Beach Boys' background vocals, John Lennon's grit, and Elvis Costello's muse.
On their newest release,The Corduroy Pants EP, they deliver superbly crafted pop gems with soaring harmonies and contagious choruses. With the help of co-producer/drummer Brett Baker (Jay-Z's percussionist and producer for Grammy-nominated R&B artist Eric Roberson), The MLMs effortlessly transition from the booty-shaking title track to the nostalgic whimsy of "Emma Please." The EP is rounded out by the contributions of bassist Joann Schmidt (formerly of IKE), Grammy-nominated producer/songwriter Dana Sorey (organ) and Grammy-nominated urban/alternative sensation Muhsinah (vocals).
The MLMs have performed at many clubs in Philadelphia including World Café Live and The Trocadero, as well as numerous clubs in New York City. You are now Tuned In to The MLMs!
tuned in, tuned in
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 6 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 50 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport