TUNED IN to The MLMs
Our featured Tuned In band this week is The MLMs.
This local Indie Rock band has not only earned high marks from their Philadelphia area fan base, but also from the national recording industry. Members of this band incorporate various genres into their sound. Their lead singer Ben O'Neill was nominated for a 2010 Grammy Award- Best Urban/Alternative Performance.
Their latest release is filled with contributions from extremely accomplished artists such as co-producer/drummer, Brett Baker, who happens to be Jay-Z's percussionist.
We caught up with them during a special recording session at The Blinkin Lincoln in Roxborough.
Please enjoy their biography.
The MLMs are a vibrantly melodic four-piece rock band from Philadelphia fronted by 2010 Grammy nominee Ben O'Neill (vocals, guitars) and Chris Gibbons (vocals, guitars, keys). A graduate of Philadelphia's University of the Arts and a former student of jazz guitar legends Pat Martino and Jimmy Bruno, Ben has toured and performed with Common, Christina Aguilera, Musiq Soulchild, Erykah Badu, will.i.am, Cee-Lo, Bilal, Eric Roberson, and Tye Tribbett. After studying jazz and working with some of the best talents in the worlds of R&B, Hip-Hop, and Gospel, Ben decided to return to the music of his childhood and form a rock band with his old friend Chris. A tender-voiced singer with an intuitive sense of melody, Chris has toured internationally with Penn State University's Essence of Joy Alumni Singers and shared the stage with Sweet Honey In The Rock. The result is a band that plays better rock music than you've heard in years--energized, catchy, and deceptively simple. They stole the Beach Boys' background vocals, John Lennon's grit, and Elvis Costello's muse.
On their newest release,The Corduroy Pants EP, they deliver superbly crafted pop gems with soaring harmonies and contagious choruses. With the help of co-producer/drummer Brett Baker (Jay-Z's percussionist and producer for Grammy-nominated R&B artist Eric Roberson), The MLMs effortlessly transition from the booty-shaking title track to the nostalgic whimsy of "Emma Please." The EP is rounded out by the contributions of bassist Joann Schmidt (formerly of IKE), Grammy-nominated producer/songwriter Dana Sorey (organ) and Grammy-nominated urban/alternative sensation Muhsinah (vocals).
The MLMs have performed at many clubs in Philadelphia including World Café Live and The Trocadero, as well as numerous clubs in New York City. You are now Tuned In to The MLMs!
tuned in, tuned in
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Winter Warm Up 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 2 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 25 min ago
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 13 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville 59 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 26 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Winter Warm Up
31 min ago
- Schools, daycares introduce yoga for kids
40 min ago
- Higher blood pressure threshold OK in older...
58 min ago