Woman saved at local Shoprite
Thursday, May 01, 2008
Philadelphia - April 30, 2008 (WPVI) -- Thanks to the quick response of Shoprite workers and one of their customers, an elderly woman is saved.
It started out like any other day for 23-year-old Crystal Mills. She was mixing batter at the bakery where she works at the Shoprite on Roosevelt Boulevard. But when an elderly customer collapsed in a checkout aisle, she and Laura Smith, a nurse who was shopping at the store, sprang into action.
"I went over, she had no pulse, she was not breathing at all," said Smith. 9-1-1 was called, and Smith and Mills started CPR as other workers brought the Automated External Defibrillator, or AED. Mills learned how to use the device just a few months ago. "To have that training under me, it was just a great feeling to know I can apply it," she said. After one shock, Smith said the collapsed shopper's heart was beating again and as emergency crews arrived, she was breathing. "Wow, I saved someone's life," said Mills, adding, "It was the best feeling ever." Emergency room doctors say AEDs save lives because people can be treated within seconds. "So it's phenomenal to have people out in the city who are able to do this and understand it," said Dr. Eric Stander, medical director of the emergency department at Nazareth Hospital. Owner of the Shoprite in Northeast Philadelphia, Rich McMenamin said all Shoprite stores have AED's and workers trained to use them. "If you can save one life, it's great but in our case we've been able as a company to save 36 so we're happy and I think it's worth it," he said. Mills and Smith were honored at the store today. But Mills is back to the usual, decorating cakes at the bakery, only now she says life is a bit sweeter. "I'm proud of myself," she said. The shopper saved is on the road to recovery.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
healthcheck, ali gorman
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 30 min ago
- Temps Soar 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 33 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 48 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 50 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 40 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
46 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
30 min ago