Breaking down Jimmy Rollins' calf injury
PHILADELPHIA - April 13, 2010 (WPVI) -- What does it take to treat Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins' strained calf muscle?
On Monday, Rollins strained his calf muscle just before the Phillies home opener against the Washington Nationals. He did not play and is said to be getting an MRI.
The calf muscle refers to a group of muscles, above the Achilles tendon in the back of the leg. The media portion is the part most commonly strained.
A calf strain can range from mild to severe:
- Grade 1 means the muscle fibers are stretched. This is a mild injury.
- Grade 2 means there is partial tearing of the muscle fibers (anywhere from 10 to 90-percent affect.)
- Grade 3 is the most severe. It refers to when there is a complete tear in the muscle. It is rare.
Podiatrist Dr. Nick Taweel of the Rothman Institute at Jefferson says calf strains are common from the professional athlete to the weekend warrior. "It's a stretching injury when the muscle is stretched beyond its excursion and the fibers are torn."
Treatment starts with rest, ice, compression and medication as needed. Athletes then undergo sports specific rehabilitation. The typical recovery time for a Grade 2 strain is 3 to 6 weeks but can be quicker for athletes.
However, we do not know the extent of Jimmy Rollins injury.
For more information on calf strains and treatment click here.
citizens bank park, philadelphia, pennsylvania, jimmy rollins, philadelphia phillies, charlie manuel, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 37 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 13 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 10 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 16 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 1 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
3 min ago
- 2 injured after vehicle hits sinkhole in...
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos