Ali helps, learns at health center
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - May 6, 2010 (WPVI) -- 11th Street Family Health Services is a federally qualified health center serving about 6,000 patients with or without insurance.
Last week, I checked patients, met the staff and learned how the center runs.
Nurse practitioners, or NPs, work with behavioral health consultants. It is a concept the center's director, Patty Gerrity, says is vital
"In order to be really healthy, you have to treat both the mind and the body and you need to do it together, not in two separate places," Gerrity said.
11th Street clinic, which is run by an alliance between the Drexel College of Nursing and Health Professions and the Family Practice Counseling Network, grew out of a partnership with the community. Gerrity and others started by working with neighboring residents, many from Philadelphia public housing.
"We worked with them to find out what they thought were the most pressing health needs and to meet those pressing needs, we worked in churches, we worked in schools, we worked anywhere we could," Gerrity said.
Years later, with funds helped raised by the community, came the new building.
Now the goal is still centered on the community and helping patients take charge of their health.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing 27 min ago
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church 30 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies 39 min ago
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7 59 min ago
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown...
30 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings...
39 min ago