Ali helps, learns at health center
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - May 6, 2010 (WPVI) -- 11th Street Family Health Services is a federally qualified health center serving about 6,000 patients with or without insurance.
Last week, I checked patients, met the staff and learned how the center runs.
Nurse practitioners, or NPs, work with behavioral health consultants. It is a concept the center's director, Patty Gerrity, says is vital
"In order to be really healthy, you have to treat both the mind and the body and you need to do it together, not in two separate places," Gerrity said.
11th Street clinic, which is run by an alliance between the Drexel College of Nursing and Health Professions and the Family Practice Counseling Network, grew out of a partnership with the community. Gerrity and others started by working with neighboring residents, many from Philadelphia public housing.
"We worked with them to find out what they thought were the most pressing health needs and to meet those pressing needs, we worked in churches, we worked in schools, we worked anywhere we could," Gerrity said.
Years later, with funds helped raised by the community, came the new building.
Now the goal is still centered on the community and helping patients take charge of their health.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 46 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 3 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 37 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 49 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 59 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
12 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
46 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
37 min ago