Liver damage warning to be on weight loss pills
WASHINGTON - May 26, 2010 -- Federal health officials are warning consumers that the weight loss pills alli and Xenical may cause severe liver damage in rare cases.
The Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday it has added a warning about the risk to the label of the drug alli, which is sold over-the-counter by GlaxoSmithKline. The prescription version Xenical is manufactured and marketed by Roche.
The FDA identified 13 instances of liver damage associated with the drugs. A causal effect between the drugs and the problem has not been established.
The FDA urged doctors and patients to watch for signs of liver injury, including itching, yellow eyes and skin and loss of appetite.
Glaxo said in a statement it is "committed to ensuring that consumers and physicians understand the safety profile" of alli. More than 10 million people worldwide have used alli since it was launched, according to Glaxo.
Roche said the "safety profile of Xenical is based on more than 10 years of clinical experience and more than 36 million patients worldwide have received Xenical."
The FDA first approved Xenical in 1999 and alli in 2007.
U.S. sales of alli more than doubled last year to $293 million, though they have come nowhere near the blockbuster numbers originally expected by Wall Street after the drug's 2007 launch. Analysts say the brand has been hurt by lower consumer spending as well as unpleasant side effects, such as anal leakage.
GlaxoSmithKline, based in London, is one of the world's largest drug companies.
The FDA first requested information from Glaxo about liver toxicity nearly two years ago.
diet, obesity, weight loss, healthcheck
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 43 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 30 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 30 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 2 min ago
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death 35 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 2 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 39 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos