WHO chief says swine flu is still a pandemic
GENEVA - June 3, 2010 -- The head of the World Health Organization says swine flu is still a pandemic even though the period of most intense activity appears to have passed.
WHO Director-General Margaret Chan says a decision on whether to declare the global epidemic of H1N1 over will be revisited in mid-July.
Chan's announcement Thursday came two days after a virtual meeting of international flu experts who advise her on setting the global body's pandemic alert level.
The alert level is currently at phase 6 - the highest - but could be moved to the "post-peak" or "post-pandemic" stage as circulation of the virus continues to decline.
WHO last week confirmed 18,114 deaths from swine flu worldwide since the start of the outbreak in April 2009.
swine flu - h1n1, healthcheck
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
- Lots of clouds, damp today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 24 min ago
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk... 14 min ago
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport 28 min ago
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge 55 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
24 min ago