Gary Papa "Run for Your Life" today
PHILADELPHIA - June 20, 2010 (WPVI) -- It's been one year since we lost our friend and colleague Gary Papa to prostate cancer.
To honor him today, the Action News team was out in full force at the Gary Papa "Run for Your Life" 5k.
RELATED LINK: The Gary Papa Father's Day Prostate Run/Walk
The 'Team Papa' t-shirts have been handed out and Action News is ready to honor our friend and continue his mission to fight the disease.
Gary's words continue to inspire not just his colleagues but many others, including the team of doctors, nurses and other staff at Penn Urology who cared for him.
They participated as part of their own "Run for Your Life" team this year.
"I think it's a little more personal in regards to getting together to do the race for him," said Anna Bottoms, the Penn Urology Team Organizer.
"He's a really big name around here and we all remember him," said Chris Ganister.
Urologic oncologist Dr. Tom Guzzo says races like Sunday's make a huge difference.
"There are people who will be at this run this weekend who maybe weren't thinking about prostate cancer who will go get screened," he said.
Not only will it increase awareness, the race also raises thousands of dollars to go towards better screening tools, and better treatments, helping us get one step closer to what was Gary's goal of beating prostate cancer.
For more information, or to donate, CLICK HERE.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, gary papa run 4 your life, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 50 min ago
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
54 min ago