Fast food breakfasts that won't break your diet
PHILADELPHIA - October 11, 2010 (WPVI) -- Your mother was onto something: Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day.
In addition to the energy boost, eating a good breakfast can help control your cholesterol and blood sugar levels and help you maintain a healthy weight. But if you're eating on the go, Consumer Reports ShopSmart magazine says pick and choose carefully.
Consumer Reports ShopSmart magazine just sized up better breakfasts from chains such as Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's, and Starbucks.
At McDonald's, for example, skip the Big Breakfast with Hotcakes, which packs 1,150 calories and 20 grams of saturated fat. Instead, opt for McDonald's Fruit and Yogurt Parfait, with just 130 calories and 1 gram of saturated fat.
If you're a Dunkin' Donuts diehard, steer clear of the sausage, egg, and cheese on a croissant. It has 640 calories and 17 grams of saturated fat! Instead, consider Dunkin' Donuts' ham, egg, and cheese Wake Up Wrap, with just 200 calories and 4.5 grams of saturated fat.
And if Starbucks is your go-to morning stop, side step the Raspberry Scone. It has 500 calories and 15 grams of saturated fat. Far better: Starbuck's Perfect Oatmeal without the extras. It has 140 calories and just a half-gram of saturated fat.
Along with keeping fat and calories down, you want to aim for 12 grams of lean protein and at least 3 grams of fiber for breakfast. Peanut butter on a piece of multigrain toast can get you there. But if you have to eat breakfast on the go, make sure you take a little time to size up a healthful choice.
Consumer Reports ShopSmart says in addition to peanut butter, other great sources for lean protein are yogurt, skim milk, cottage cheese, and, of course, eggs. As for carbohydrates, your most healthful choices are whole-grain breads and cereals and fresh fruits.
obesity, weight loss, ali gorman, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 33 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos