Co-workers save woman's life using CPR
November 4, 2010 (WPVI) -- Coworkers rush in to action to save a friend by using CPR.
55-year-old Brenda Halliburton was at her desk at American Baptist Churches, USA last October.
Brenda says she was planning a meeting before she collapsed.
"The next thing I knew, I was waking up in the hospital a week later," she said.
When Brenda collapsed, her coworkers had jumped into action.
Gary LaNette was downstairs.
"And when I got here, Brenda was in very serious trouble," LaNette said.
He says she wasn't breathing and had no pulse. He started CPR as coworker Johnson Eapen grabbed the AED or Automated External Defibrillator.
Gary put it on and it delivered a shock.
"She didn't immediately respond, I went back to CPR and after about 70 compressions, I had her back and it was a thrilling feeling," LaNette said.
By that time, 8 minutes later, paramedics arrived. They transported Brenda to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where her care continued.
But Chris McLeod of Lafayette Ambulance & Rescue says if it wasn't for the quick response of her coworkers, Brenda may not be here today.
"The patient's chances for survival decrease 7 to 10-percent for every minute that nothing is done so by the time we arrive on scene, if nothing is done the chances of survival are actually very small," McLeod said.
Eapen says that's the reason the company trains employees to respond quickly to emergencies.
LaNette now tells others to not be afraid to help.
Brenda says she feels blessed.
"Had I not received CPR when I went down, I would not be here today, so I am extremely thankful that there are people who know how to administer CPR, it saved my life, it saved my life," Halliburton said.
And AED's can be used by anyone. It walks you through the steps.
Also CPR has gotten easier, now everyone can help by simply doing chest compressions.
For a demonstration on chest compressions, visit this link.
healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Mom of tasered teen arrested for shoplifting 19 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mom of tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
19 min ago