Montco student diagnosed with whooping cough
NORTH WALES, Pa. - January 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Students and staffers at Pennbrook Middle School in North Wales are on alert for cases of whooping cough.
That comes after confirmation that an 8th grader has the disease, also known as pertussis.
The Montgomery County Health Department says the student did not need hospitalization.
Everyone who has been in close contact is taking preventive antibiotics.
The student had been vaccinated as a toddler, but that immunity can fade over time.
The number of cases of pertussis is rising here and around the country. Preliminary data shows Montgomery County had 141 cases last year, compared to just 31 in 2007.
Other counties in southeastern Pennsylvania reported these 2010 numbers to the state:
Philadelphia - 143
Delaware Co. - 64
Chester Co. - 63
Bucks Co. - 152
pennsylvania, montgomery county, whooping cough, healthcheck
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 1 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd 37 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 1 min ago
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar