Some kids need flu shot boosters
PHILADELPHIA, PA., January 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- It's recommended all kids under nine years old get two doses of the flu vaccine if it is their first year getting the vaccine.
But some other kids under nine may also need a second dose:
-If they only had one dose of the seasonal flu vaccine the first year they were vaccinated
-Or if they weren't vaccinated against the H1N1 vaccine last year
Overall, for kids and adults the vaccine is 70 to 90-percent effective.
However, if school-aged kids who are supposed to get two doses, and only get one, studies show the effectiveness rate drops to 65-percent.
According to the latest weekly update from the federal Centers for Disease Control, flu activity continues to pick up in our area.
Pennsylvania is now has "widespread activity." That is the highest level.
New Jersey is listed as "regional," that is one step lower.
And in Delaware, there is slightly less flu activity there so far.
Although Action News has been told the little girl who died in Burlington County was vaccinated, we do not know whether she'd had a booster shot. We are told she was healthy, though.
Right now, the best way to protect yourself and your children is to wash your hands frequently, and get vaccinated.
The Burlington County Health department is holding a public flu shot clinic at the Burlington Center Mall this Thursday from 5 to 7 pm.
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Witnesses: Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade 3 min ago
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Video: Father, son to graduate college together
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen