Pregnant woman mistakenly given abortion pill
DENVER, Colorado - February 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- A medicine mix-up may cost a pregnant woman in Colorado her first child.
Mareena Silva recently went to her local Safeway Pharmacy in Denver for an antibiotic.
But she was accidentally given another woman's prescription for methotrexate -- a cancer drug that is also an early term abortion pill.
The woman had the same last name, and similar first name to Silva.
After taking the pill Silva felt nauseous, then realized the medicine didn't belong to her.
She tried to cough it up but couldn't.
The pharmacy has apologized for the mistake and offered to pay for her medical expenses.
"For all of this to happen now, it's really overwhelming," Silva said. "Sorry is not going to cut it. I'm going to have to deal with this for a long time."
Doctors say Silva could lose the child, have a baby with birth defects, or have a happy and healthy child.
For now, they are checking Silva's bloodwork to make sure her hormone levels are OK.
colorado, abortion, healthcheck
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing 23 min ago
- One Fine Friday!
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield 24 min ago
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive 32 min ago
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Driver, passenger hurt in Cheltenham Township crash 58 min ago
- Woman critically injured in Radnor Township house fire
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 60 hospitalized 17 min ago
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos 20 min ago
- 3 sought for robbery of 15-year-old
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- Powerball jackpot grows to $600 million
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
24 min ago
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make...
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos