Pregnant woman mistakenly given abortion pill
DENVER, Colorado - February 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- A medicine mix-up may cost a pregnant woman in Colorado her first child.
Mareena Silva recently went to her local Safeway Pharmacy in Denver for an antibiotic.
But she was accidentally given another woman's prescription for methotrexate -- a cancer drug that is also an early term abortion pill.
The woman had the same last name, and similar first name to Silva.
After taking the pill Silva felt nauseous, then realized the medicine didn't belong to her.
She tried to cough it up but couldn't.
The pharmacy has apologized for the mistake and offered to pay for her medical expenses.
"For all of this to happen now, it's really overwhelming," Silva said. "Sorry is not going to cut it. I'm going to have to deal with this for a long time."
Doctors say Silva could lose the child, have a baby with birth defects, or have a happy and healthy child.
For now, they are checking Silva's bloodwork to make sure her hormone levels are OK.
colorado, abortion, healthcheck
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 49 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids 4 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
49 min ago