Deluge of white leaves Red Cross short of blood
PHILADELPHIA, PA.; February 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- We've had no shortage of winter storms this year. But the storms brought a massive blood shortage.
The local American Red Cross says due to the storms.... About 3-thousand blood donations in our area were cancelled and not collected this winter.
The Red Cross has launched a new campaign called "Be Part of the Recovery" to try to boost their supply, which hospitals in our area depend on.
Other states are also facing the same problem,which is why John Jurek of Indiana donates.
He has donated 55 gallons of blood since 1954.
Considering only one pint is taken at time, that means Jurek has taken more than 400 trips to the donation center.
said during his latest visit to the Red CrossTo find a blood drive near you, click here.
red cross, snow, healthcheck
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 14 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 7 min ago
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act