Deluge of white leaves Red Cross short of blood
PHILADELPHIA, PA.; February 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- We've had no shortage of winter storms this year. But the storms brought a massive blood shortage.
The local American Red Cross says due to the storms.... About 3-thousand blood donations in our area were cancelled and not collected this winter.
The Red Cross has launched a new campaign called "Be Part of the Recovery" to try to boost their supply, which hospitals in our area depend on.
Other states are also facing the same problem,which is why John Jurek of Indiana donates.
He has donated 55 gallons of blood since 1954.
Considering only one pint is taken at time, that means Jurek has taken more than 400 trips to the donation center.
said during his latest visit to the Red CrossTo find a blood drive near you, click here.
red cross, snow, healthcheck
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 23 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 30 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 41 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
23 min ago