New workout combines boxing and Pilates
PHILADELPHIA - February 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- There's a new workout coming to the Delaware and Lehigh valleys in a few weeks.
It's called Piloxing - a combination of Pilates and boxing - and it's already a hit with the Hollywood crowd.
Swedish-born Viveca Jensen is bringing her hot West Coast workout to our area. Her students are local fitness instructors who hope to take Piloxing back to their clubs.
Jensen, a Pilates instructor in Los Angeles, says the inspiration came one day when she was boxing for fun.
"When I found that I used my Pilates technique in my boxing training, I was like - 'A-ha!' - this is amazing to put together!" she said.
The workout then took off when she showed it to a Pilates client - actress Hilary Duff.
"She fell in love with it. She brought a lot of her friends there," said Jensen.
Most of the one hour class alternates boxing and Pilates segments with a few dance moves thrown in. The moves aim to strengthen the core - the essential muscles of the torso. Weighted gloves also help tone arms, and *heighten the cardio impact.
"I felt the whole energy of the three components," said Annette Drust of Lifesport Fitness in Fairmount.
Piloxing can be intense - Jensen says you'll burn 450 to 800 calories per class. However, it can be "geared down" for beginners.
If you don't see it at your gym soon, keep in mind that Piloxing DVDs are coming out in March.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, exercise, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Boy killed in Chester accident ID'd
- Unsettled to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman pulled from Phila. collapse loses both legs
- Committee sets hearings on demolitions in Phila.
- Video: Dash cam view of Lindenwold school bus crash
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Monday's storms
- Multi-alarm fire at titanium plant in Berks
- Girl, 4, dies after crash that killed father
- Burlington taxi driver death ruled homicide, victim ID'd
- Photos: 7 arrests in Phila. prostitution cases
- Automatic renewal contracts
- Tracy ties it in 9th, but Phils win in bottom half