'Traffic light' helps cancer patients eat right
JUNIATA - March 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Thomas James, 68, has already battled prostate cancer twice. Now he's doing what he can to stay strong, and that includes eating healthy.
The new "traffic light" system at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in the Juniata section of Philadelphia is making it easier.
"It's a great system because all of us are familiar with red, yellow and green from everyday living," James said.
The system labels food the easy way - Red means stop because it includes foods high in fat and calories.
As for green...
"It's going to be your healthiest selections. They're full of vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants which helps protect your immune system," said Clinical Oncology Dietitian Nicole Kemp, R.D.
Kemp, who developed the system, says the green foods also include lean protein, which is vital for cancer patients who may unintentionally lose weight.
As for the yellow group: Slow down! Many are processed foods.
They do have some nutritional value but you don't want to do too much," Kemp said.
The system also helps caregivers. Thomas' wife says she's learned to make healthy changes in her own kitchen.
"More vegetables, more colors and less fat in it," Lois James said.
Kemp says the traffic light system has been a win-win, helping not only patients and caregivers eat healthier but also employees. They plans to expand the system to all their centers nationwide.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, juniata, cancer, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated 39 min ago
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
28 min ago
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
52 min ago