Unhealthy health foods
March 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- One in four Americans are seriously trying to lose weight, according to a Gallup poll. If that's you, you could be undermining your efforts and not even know it.There are a lot of foods out here that look like they're good for you. But looks can be deceiving. That's what Consumer Reports ShopSmart found when it played diet detective to come up with a list of unhealthy health foods.
"You could be sabotaging your waistline and your health by eating foods that are loaded with fat, calories, or sugar," said Sue Perry of ShopSmart.
Take veggie chips, they may be made of vegetables, but they're often fried in oil and loaded with fat. And while one cup of trail mix can have lots of vitamins, it can also have almost 700 calories!
"If you're looking for a healthier snack, try air-popped or low-fat popcorn. But instead of butter, sprinkle on a little grated parmesan cheese. It has less fat," said Perry.
When it comes to breakfast, hold off on that cup of granola cereal, it can contain about 400 calories.
"For a better breakfast, try a bowl of oat-based cereal like Cheerios."
And before you take a bite of that wrap, take a step back because wraps can be huge, high in calories and sometimes fat!
"A better choice for lunch, a sandwich on whole-grain or whole-wheat bread, but check the ingredients list. Whole-grains should be first on the list."
In fact, checking the labels on everything you eat is the way a true diet detective finds food that is truly healthy.
Consumer Reports ShopSmart said when it comes to desserts, watch out for frozen yogurt. It can contain a lot of sugar. Instead, look for light ice-cream that has fewer calories and less fat. And sweetened applesauce is another not-so-great sweet treat with loads of added sugar. Even better is a whole apple and you get the fiber too.
food, obesity, diet, consumer reports, healthcheck
- Snow today, heavy at times 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in Norristown 12 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
21 min ago