Gearing up for the Blue Cross Broad Street Run
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - April 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- Participants in this year's Blue Cross Broad Street Run are almost ready to face the music.
Runner packets are ready for pick-up at the race EXPO at Lincoln Financial Field. Action News was there Friday, where we found most runners ready to pound the pavement.
"I'm feeling good, I'm feeling really good," said runner Sandy Preston.
But for the novice or the nervous we met up with Cindy Brown of Core Fitness (www.core-fit.com) for some last minute tips. Cindy says start with hydration.
"Over the next couple of days, slowly take in more water," she advised. "Try not to make it all on the morning of the race."
And as for carbo-loading, don't take this runner's advice:
"Lots of pasta, sushi, lots of beer," said Richard DeAngelo of Carney's Point, N.J., laughing.
Cindy recommends slowly upping your carb intake. But don't eat anything out of the ordinary. And she says to make your biggest pre-race meal lunch instead of dinner on Saturday.
"So you don't wake up feeling bloated and heavy," she explained.
As for running, Cindy says you've already done the hard work by working out. At this point, two days before the run, it's best to rest. But mentally prepare yourself to start slow. And, she says, have fun, whatever your goal may be.
"Just finishing, no goal in mind," said Brenda Good of Wilmington, Del.
"It's actually one of the best races in the city for fun," said Cindy. "Just enjoy it, take it in."
I picked up my bib Friday. If you are running, I hope to see you out there. If not, look for the 6ABC team and cheer us on. I, for one, will need it.
exercise, south philadelphia, lincoln financial field, health care, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos