Local organization helps domestic abuse victim
June 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- Repairing the physical and emotional scars of domestic abuse can take years, and it can't be done alone.
One local organization is trying to help one woman get her smile back.
As young woman, Rebecca Rogers had a winning personality and a quick smile, but an abusive husband ruined her dreams of a happy adult life.
"It started with little things; little punches," said Rebecca. "I never touched him. And then he threw a plant stand in my face."
She says 8 teeth were gone in a flash. It took her a year to get out of the abusive marriage. Attempts to fix her teeth never worked. It affected her appearance and her self-esteem.
She would cover her face when she was around people.
By last winter, she was so withdrawn that she ended up living on the streets.
Then she made contact with the "Beginning Over foundation." It helps abused women get back on their feet.
Founder Heidi Markow saw beyond Rebecca's initial appearance.
"This is not a homeless woman, this is a woman that has so many hopes and dreams," said Heidi Markow.
And so the rebuilding effort began, emotionally and physically.
Dr. Robert Laski of Valley Oral Surgery, along with another dental specialist, are donating the dental work Rebecca needs.
"Long term, she will most likely end up having to lose all of her upper teeth, and at least 3 of the lower teeth," explained Dr. Laski.
Replacing bad teeth with implants and dentures could take up to a year, and it's worth tens of thousands of dollars. But Dr. Laski says he's glad to help.
"The community has done so much for us," said Dr. Laski. "The least we can do as a practice is help someone rebuild their life."
Rebecca also received help from a local car dealership who gave her a car. She is using it to find a new home and a job.
Action News will check in with her in several months to see the transformation.
abuse, health care, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 1 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 17 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 22 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 28 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 46 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 37 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 46 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
17 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
22 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
38 min ago