Ryan Seacrest launches the Voice at CHOP
PHILADELPHIA - July 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- It was a star-studded event at a local hospital. Ryan Seacrest and Selena Gomez visited the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Friday.
Ryan has launched a new project inside the hospital hoping it gives kids there a break from all the medicine, and a reason to smile.
It wasn't your usual ribbon cutting ceremony. This one seemed more like a Hollywood premiere complete with paparazzi and Hollywood stars, Ryan Seacrest and Selena Gomez.
Ryan was here to launch the Voice, a multi-media center inside of Children's Hospital where kids will be able to host radio shows, blog and even broadcast on closed circuit TV.
Ryan says the idea behind it is simple.
"To try to life up the spirits of the kids who are going through tough stuff and sick kids," explains Ryan Seacrest.
Ali Gorman met A.J. and Rachel before the event, both are battling bone cancer and both are excited to get in the booth.
"It gives us a chance to come down here and actually do things," said A.J. Mattia.
"Yes, definitely because being stuck in a room all day is just not something that kids should do," said Rachael Kovach.
Ryan hosted the first Voice broadcast in Philadelphia. He interviewed Selena and Julia Parmisciano, who is a heart patient and also a musician who got the chance to do a duet with one of her favorite stars.
Selena says she couldn't refuse when Ryan asked her to join him.
"It's definitely one of my favorite parts of my job," said Selena Gomez. "Being able to do this is nice and humbling."
So far the response from kids to the Voice has been exactly what Ryan hoped for.
"Their moms will come up to me and say 'My kid hasn't gotten out of bed for weeks and for this today, they have.' That means the world to me," said Ryan.
And it definitely seemed to mean the world to the kids who were there for the debut.
And there was also another surprise visit. Joe Jonas made a special appearance after the Friday morning event.
Seacrest launched the first "Voice" at the Children's Hospital in Atlanta, where he grew up. His foundation plans to bring the project to several other children's hospitals.
For more information, visit: http://ryanseacrestfoundation.org/
childrens hospital of philadelphia, philadelphia, pennsylvania, healthcheck
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 30 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 45 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 53 min ago
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 40 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship 30 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
30 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
25 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos