What to eat to beat the heat
PHILADELPHIA - July 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- As the summer sun bears down on the area and the temperatures soar, keep in mind some foods are better than others to help you beat the heat.
As the sun beat down over the farmer's market in Chestnut Hill, Victor Glenn was loading up on fresh fruit - and he's on the right track.
Fruits with high water content, like watermelon, plums, cantaloupe and apples can help keep you hydrated. The same goes for water-packed veggies like ice cold broccoli, cucumbers and peppers.
"It feels more refreshing than anything heavy or anything hot," said Jodi Inverson of Lawrenceville, New Jersey.
Another tip: Avoid heavy foods, which generate more heat. It's better to stick to less dense foods.
Manny, of "Manny's Place," said his customers were buying "something on the lighter side, fish without a coating."
When it comes to something to drink, should you stick to water or go for the sports drinks? The answer - both! You'll want to make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day but, if you are sweating a lot, you also want to have some sports drink. It's best to dilute it, because anything high in sugar takes longer to absorb.
Which brings us to ice cream. It's always a crowd-pleaser, especially lately here at Poppy's Seed Bakery.
"Sales have been very good for ice cream and gelato, absolutely," said Ron Loux.
But for some, heat and milk are not a good combination. Dairy products can leave you feeling queasy or sluggish, so there dairy-free options, like sorbet.
heat wave, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 45 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos