What to eat to beat the heat
PHILADELPHIA - July 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- As the summer sun bears down on the area and the temperatures soar, keep in mind some foods are better than others to help you beat the heat.
As the sun beat down over the farmer's market in Chestnut Hill, Victor Glenn was loading up on fresh fruit - and he's on the right track.
Fruits with high water content, like watermelon, plums, cantaloupe and apples can help keep you hydrated. The same goes for water-packed veggies like ice cold broccoli, cucumbers and peppers.
"It feels more refreshing than anything heavy or anything hot," said Jodi Inverson of Lawrenceville, New Jersey.
Another tip: Avoid heavy foods, which generate more heat. It's better to stick to less dense foods.
Manny, of "Manny's Place," said his customers were buying "something on the lighter side, fish without a coating."
When it comes to something to drink, should you stick to water or go for the sports drinks? The answer - both! You'll want to make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day but, if you are sweating a lot, you also want to have some sports drink. It's best to dilute it, because anything high in sugar takes longer to absorb.
Which brings us to ice cream. It's always a crowd-pleaser, especially lately here at Poppy's Seed Bakery.
"Sales have been very good for ice cream and gelato, absolutely," said Ron Loux.
But for some, heat and milk are not a good combination. Dairy products can leave you feeling queasy or sluggish, so there dairy-free options, like sorbet.
heat wave, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 26 min ago
- Record Warmth! 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies 26 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 26 min ago
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case 26 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother 25 min ago
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 25 min ago
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
26 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
26 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school...
26 min ago
- Record Warmth!
17 min ago