Students learn about IMPACT of concussions
NEWTOWN, Pa. - August 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- In recent years we've become much more aware about the dangers of concussions - not just for professional athletes but also for kids and teenagers.
Now a program in Bucks County continues that education.
Student-athletes at Council Rock North High School learned all about concussions today. All students involved in contact sports here, at Council Rock South and Neshaminy High are mandated to learn about concussions - and the dangers of playing through one.
The students also take a baseline mental test called IMPACT. It tests their response time and memory which will give trainers a baseline guide in case the student takes a serious hit.
"When we take the IMPACT test we now have a baseline to compare to the post-test," said Kimberly Everett of Saint Mary Medical Center. "So, we can say 'No, this is more than a headache - you are still showing signs and you will have to sit out a little longer.'"
And that can prevent future injury.
Austin Le, a soon-to-be freshman, says he didn't know much about concussions until today. Now, he says he will take what he's learned on the field if he ever gets hit in the head.
"I'll make sure that if i get a little dizzy or just not feel right that I get off the field and be safe about it," he said.
The education and testing are part of a program put on by many community partners - including the school districts and St. Mary Medical Center. It's recommended all students involved in contact sports take the IMPACT test.
pennsylvania, bucks county, concussion, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 18 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 48 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police