Protecting your health during storm
PHILADELPHIA, PA., August 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Everyone should be making basic preparations for the storm. But if you have medical problems or care for someone who does, you need to take extra steps
A Hurricane Irene approaches, city officials are urging everyone to prepare, especially if you have medical needs.
Starting with your emergency kit - water, non-perishable food, flashlights and batteries, a battery-powered radio, first aid kit, and sanitation and personal hygiene items.
Judge Renee Caldwell Hughes of the Red Cross says if you take medication-
You should have a 7 day supply and also a copy of all prescriptions.
Judge Renee Caldwell Hughes, of the Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania, says, "Automatically you think of medications but I want also copy of contact lenses, eyeglasses, any prescriptions you have should have a copy and keep in a safe place."
Also, if you depend on electricity for medical equipment, you will need a back-up plan if the storm knocks power out.
If you can, get a small generator, otherwise make plans to go away from the storm.
"So you want to identify family, friends that you can go to, to help keep your equipment running," advises Hughes.
Plus, everyone should fill up their gas tank, charge your phone and take out some cash.
"If power goes out you may not be able to access your bank account so you want to have some cash to handle your emerg. Needs- not a great amount but some measure of cash," says Hughes.
If you have neighbors that may need assistance, it's a ood idea to check in with them today and make sure they have someone looking after them over the weekend.
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, prescriptions, health care, healthcheck
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely 39 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow likely Monday 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 22 min ago
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia
- 2-alarm fire breaks out at Holmesburg complex 20 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire 13 min ago
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury 50 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Milder this afternoon, snow likely Monday
27 min ago
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
39 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
22 min ago
- New video released in apparent Pa. road...
38 min ago