Protecting your health during storm
PHILADELPHIA, PA., August 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Everyone should be making basic preparations for the storm. But if you have medical problems or care for someone who does, you need to take extra steps
A Hurricane Irene approaches, city officials are urging everyone to prepare, especially if you have medical needs.
Starting with your emergency kit - water, non-perishable food, flashlights and batteries, a battery-powered radio, first aid kit, and sanitation and personal hygiene items.
Judge Renee Caldwell Hughes of the Red Cross says if you take medication-
You should have a 7 day supply and also a copy of all prescriptions.
Judge Renee Caldwell Hughes, of the Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania, says, "Automatically you think of medications but I want also copy of contact lenses, eyeglasses, any prescriptions you have should have a copy and keep in a safe place."
Also, if you depend on electricity for medical equipment, you will need a back-up plan if the storm knocks power out.
If you can, get a small generator, otherwise make plans to go away from the storm.
"So you want to identify family, friends that you can go to, to help keep your equipment running," advises Hughes.
Plus, everyone should fill up their gas tank, charge your phone and take out some cash.
"If power goes out you may not be able to access your bank account so you want to have some cash to handle your emerg. Needs- not a great amount but some measure of cash," says Hughes.
If you have neighbors that may need assistance, it's a ood idea to check in with them today and make sure they have someone looking after them over the weekend.
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, prescriptions, health care, healthcheck
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ