Strides against breast cancer - Barbara Galatti
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - September 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month and it kicks off with the American Cancer Society's annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk on Sunday, October 2nd.
Every day this week, leading up to the walk, we will be introducing you to five women who are, indeed, making strides against the disease.
Of the five women we met, some are currently deep in their battle against the disease. Others have fought, won and are now survivors.
Today, Barbara Galatti shares her story.
It's easy to she's a positive person. But, like most women, being diagnosed with breast cancer threw her for a loop.
"When the doctor called me, I hung up the phone and I just cried," she said.
It was April 2010 when Barbara, at age 46, found out she had stage three breast cancer that had spread to her lymph nodes.
After the initial shock wore off, she decided she would be positive and proactive. Knowing she would lose her long brown locks, she donated her hair.
Then she had surgery, chemo and radiation, leaning on her husband Ryan for support.
She also took time to enjoy life's little pleasures.
"Every day I had cancer, I still woke up, I was happy to be alive and I was smiling," Barbara said.
That smile lead to "Team Smile." Barbara's friends and family rallied around her at the "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" walk.
"It was just incredible because it was so much love and support," said Barbara.
Barbara is now cancer-free and getting her team ready again this year. She won't be walking as she's currently on crutches due to hip surgery, but she says it's important got her to be there to encourage others affected by breast cancer.
"I want to be out there to say 'Yes we are strong, we can do this and you are going to be okay, you are going to be okay."
You can join Sunday's walk simply by logging onto 2011 Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, south philadelphia, breast cancer, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 22 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 15 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 35 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ