Moms turn everyday life into Pilates workout
PHILADELPHIA - October 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Most moms will tell you - Having a child can turn your world upside down. You're taking on more responsibility, but you're also tired and weighed-down.
For Allison Bozic, that weight is getting heavier as little Max gets bigger.
"He's 20 pounds, and then I have a diaper bag that's always full so that's another 10 pounds and then I have the stroller itself weighs 30 pounds," she said.
For many moms including Vanessa London, who's son is also named Max, the extra weight can lead to aches and pains.
"I've been having pretty bad low back pain from poor posture and hunching over and picking him up improperly," Vanessa said.
So now a new Pilates program in Philadelphia is helping women use those obstacles to their advantage. Steffi Freedman, owner of Corp Pilates and also a mom, developed the "new mom movement."
She teaches moms to use the principles of Pilates in everyday life.
She says incorporating the moves, and using the extra weight to your advantage, can help women get their bodies back and prevent injuries.
"So it really helps you become more aware and get stronger in the process," Steffi said.
Steffi also teaches a short floor workout moms can do at home, even when their little ones want to play.
"If you just get 15-20 minutes of core strengthening, and stretching your body out, it will make a world of a difference. You'll feel stronger and more energized," Steffi said.
And if you are a new mom and want to learn how you can use Pilates to your advantage, Corp Pilates is holding workshops throughout the fall.
For more information, visit the Corp Pilates website.
exercise, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 46 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 13 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Boyfriend arrested in NJ woman's murder 1 min ago
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
13 min ago