Pfizer manuevers to shield Lipitor from generics
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - November 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- Pfizer is getting creative to preserve Lipitor's billions in sales as the cholesterol drug gets generic competition in the U.S. market.
Pfizer is offering unprecedented discounts and incentives for patients, insurers and companies that process prescriptions. The deals will make the brand name as cheap as or cheaper than generics that go on sale Wednesday.
Normally when a drug's patent ends, generics grab nearly all its market share within a year. Pfizer isn't giving up that easy on Lipitor. The drug still brings in nearly $11 billion a year, a sixth of Pfizer's revenue.
Sanford Bernstein analyst Tim Anderson estimates Pfizer can still make a $100 profit on a 90-day supply of Lipitor under the deals. That's about half what it makes now.
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports 34 min ago
- Wintry Weekend 2 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas package theft
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish 25 min ago
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool
- Freebie Friday
- Photos: East Passyunk Avenue Tree Lighting Party