Pfizer manuevers to shield Lipitor from generics
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - November 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- Pfizer is getting creative to preserve Lipitor's billions in sales as the cholesterol drug gets generic competition in the U.S. market.
Pfizer is offering unprecedented discounts and incentives for patients, insurers and companies that process prescriptions. The deals will make the brand name as cheap as or cheaper than generics that go on sale Wednesday.
Normally when a drug's patent ends, generics grab nearly all its market share within a year. Pfizer isn't giving up that easy on Lipitor. The drug still brings in nearly $11 billion a year, a sixth of Pfizer's revenue.
Sanford Bernstein analyst Tim Anderson estimates Pfizer can still make a $100 profit on a 90-day supply of Lipitor under the deals. That's about half what it makes now.
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 38 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014