Workshop to help sufferers of eating disorders
December 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- The holidays can be stressful, especially for those struggling with or recovering from an eating disorder.
Shari Botwin says she is living a life better than she had imagined. She is a new mom, an author, and has recovered from an eating disorder.
She says it started when she was a young girl and got worse.
To distract herself from dealing with multiple traumas, she would cut calories and over-exercise.
"I think I was feeling like this is all I can think about; this is the only thing I can do to make myself feel good about myself," Botwin said.
The eating disorder soon took over her life.
"I would say that at times I was severely depressed, hopeless," Botwin said.
Until she met friends also struggling but were getting help.
So she also got help through counseling and years later is now a counselor herself helping others heal from eating disorders.
She and other experts are holding a workshop to help people with eating disorders get help and to assist their friends and family.
"Because a lot of times they feel at a complete loss as to what to do, they don't understand why some people have an eating disorder," Botwin said.
Botwin says they will be spreading hope and the message, "if you need help, get it, don't wait."
The workshop is Wednesday from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at night at the Kaiserman Jewish Community Center at 45 Haverford Road, Wynnewood, PA 19096.
It is $25 if you pre-register or $30 at the door.
Shari will be joined by Jane Shure, Ph.D. and Beth Weinstock, Ph.D.
It is an educational forum for:
People struggling with eating disorders
Family and friends
Medical and mental health professionals
For more information, visit: www.selfmatters.org
healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Turning Milder 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 13 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 34 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Person injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 32 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp. 36 min ago
- NJ Transit bus crashes into building, 9 injured 24 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 26 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
34 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos