Workshop to help sufferers of eating disorders
December 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- The holidays can be stressful, especially for those struggling with or recovering from an eating disorder.
Shari Botwin says she is living a life better than she had imagined. She is a new mom, an author, and has recovered from an eating disorder.
She says it started when she was a young girl and got worse.
To distract herself from dealing with multiple traumas, she would cut calories and over-exercise.
"I think I was feeling like this is all I can think about; this is the only thing I can do to make myself feel good about myself," Botwin said.
The eating disorder soon took over her life.
"I would say that at times I was severely depressed, hopeless," Botwin said.
Until she met friends also struggling but were getting help.
So she also got help through counseling and years later is now a counselor herself helping others heal from eating disorders.
She and other experts are holding a workshop to help people with eating disorders get help and to assist their friends and family.
"Because a lot of times they feel at a complete loss as to what to do, they don't understand why some people have an eating disorder," Botwin said.
Botwin says they will be spreading hope and the message, "if you need help, get it, don't wait."
The workshop is Wednesday from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at night at the Kaiserman Jewish Community Center at 45 Haverford Road, Wynnewood, PA 19096.
It is $25 if you pre-register or $30 at the door.
Shari will be joined by Jane Shure, Ph.D. and Beth Weinstock, Ph.D.
It is an educational forum for:
People struggling with eating disorders
Family and friends
Medical and mental health professionals
For more information, visit: www.selfmatters.org
healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- New sighting reported of missing student's car 21 min ago
- Mostly cloudy, humid today 16 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 12 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Victim ID'd in Deptford Township arson 19 min ago
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms 24 min ago
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Sea Lion Worried About Little Girl
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
16 min ago
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
12 min ago
- New sighting reported of missing student's...
21 min ago
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos