Could NJ woman have sleepwalked to her death?
PHILADELPHIA, PA.; December 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Charlene Ferrero's close friend says she saw her sleepwalking first-hand.
She says that last week, the 55-year-old came to her home in the middle of the night, seemingly "awake," but not.
Saturday night, police in Oaklyn, New Jersey got a report of a woman in pajamas, disoriented, walking on a residential street. They didn't find her then, but Monday, her body was found in nearby Newton Lake.
Dr. Karl Doghramji, the medical director at the Jefferson University Sleep Disorders Center, says most sleepwalkers don't go far afield. "They walk around inside a home, or just around the outside, and then wake up there," he told Action News.
"But they have been known to drive for miles, to walk for long distances and injure themself or other people, to eat, to even sexually assault others," Dr. Doghramji says.
He recalled a past patient who was very health-oriented and had never smoked. But when sleepwalking, the patient's husband would find her in the kitchen, eating foods she'd normally never touch - and smoking.
Sleepwalking occurs when the motor portion of the brain stays awake while the body and the rest of the brain - the sensory portion - sleeps.
While scientists don't completely understand sleepwalking, Dr. Doghramji says several factors contribute to it. First and foremost, a family history of it.
"There is a genetic predisposition to sleepwalking. Many people have that, but most don't act on it -" he says. "Unless there is a trigger, something that disrupts the slow wave phase of sleep."
Caffeine, sleep apnea, disorders like narcolepsy, some types of medication, or alcohol can all be triggers. The insomnia medication Ambien and Chantix, which is used to help smokers quit, carry black box warnings about possible sleepwalking.
"To treat sleepwalking, we take away the triggers," says Dr. Doghramji.
It is a myth that sleepwalkers shouldn't be awakened, however, they will be confused or disoriented for a time when they awake.
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 37 min ago
- Temps Soar 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 40 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 55 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 57 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 47 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
53 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
37 min ago