Training tips for the Broad Street Run
PHILADELPHIA - February 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- The 33rd Annual Blue Cross Broad Street Run is this spring but we have tips to help you start training now.
Action News caught up with Karin Richards. She's Director of Exercise Sciences at the University of the Sciences and an avid marathon runner.
If you're running the race this year, she says start your training now.
There are several good training tools online for beginners and seasoned runners. They'll show you how to safely up your mileage.
"You don't want to increase your mileage more than 10 percent each week because then you are susceptible to injury. Take it nice and slow," said Richards.
If you've been stuck inside on the treadmill all winter, she says move some of your runs outdoors
"Number one it's a change of pace and number two you have that brisk air that is going to wake you up a little bit," said Richards.
An added bonus - you'll replenish your vitamin D level from exposure to the sun and it will boost your mood which can take a dip during darker months.
To dress for colder weather, Richards says dress 20 degrees warmer than the temperature reads.
"Okay if it's 20 degrees, dress like it's 40 degrees, 40 degrees dress like it's 60 degrees," she said.
Your bottom layer should be wicking to keep moisture away from your body, then an insulating later. If it's below 32 degrees, you'll need gloves and a hat or headband to prevent frostbite.
Some extra training tools can be found here:
broad street run, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 13 min ago
- Steamy Situation 4 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma 51 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 38 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary 24 min ago
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 42 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 40 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- New push to revitalize West Philly's Lancaster Ave. 7 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
13 min ago