Healthcheck: More children diagnosed with autism
March 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- On healthcheck, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports more kids than ever before are being diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders.
The CDC has been tracking autism spectrum disorders for more than a decade.
Researchers looked at 14 sites across the country, including in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
The new numbers, taken from 2008, estimate one in every 88 children has been diagnosed as being on the spectrum. That is a 23% rise from the numbers in 2006.
One reason is that the disorder is recognized and diagnosed better.
Dr. Margo Burke of Philadelphia's 'Center for Autism' explained the increase in numbers.
"There are more people that are better equipped to be able to diagnose "We've gotten better at it, and we've been able to diagnose earlier and earlier," said Dr. Burke.
And most experts agree this is at least part of the reason for the increase in numbers. Other experts also say the definition of autism spectrum disorders has expanded to include more kids.
Still the cause of autism remains a mystery. Dr. Burke suspects genetics play a role.
Which would explain why, in the new report, 1 in 54 boys was diagnosed with autism, compared to 1 in 252 girls.
Still she says parents shouldn't worry about the numbers, but should be aware of their children's early development.
"If we catch them early, sometimes we can catch them up on those developmental milestones," said Dr. Burke.
Early intervention is the key to helping them with development.
autism, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 12 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
12 min ago