10 years after approval, Botox use evolves
BALA CYNWYD, PA.; June 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- While it seems like Botox has been around forever, it's only been 10 years since the FDA first approved it for the face.
When it was approved in 2002, it was for one use.
"Relaxing these muscles that create the '11s', or the wrinkles between the eyes," says Dr. Tim Greco, a plastic surgeon in Bala Cynwyd, Pa.
Now, it's become much more than a "wrinkle relaxer."
Dr. Greco says plastic surgeons use it all over the face, for a wide variety of subtle improvements.
"You can do browlifts, You can improve these neckbands. You can even do an injection along the jawline, to give a little lift, what we call a Nefertiti lift," he said, referring to legendary beauty of the ancient queen of Egypt.
"I really find it softens the lines without taking away any of my appearance," says Jody Carafa, of New Hope.
Carafa says she doesn't miss the creases and wrinkles she now sees in her old photos.
Even though Botox is considered safe, Dr. Greco says it is still a diluted toxin.
And patients should do their homework to find the right person to administer it.
"The muscles of the face are small and precise, and you want to make sure those injections are precise," Dr. Greco says.
He says you should ask several questions:
* The background of the person you are considering
* What is their training?
* Do they continue to take update classes?
* How many injections have they given?
* Interview several doctors - and pay attention to HOW they answer. Be aware of anyone who is pushy or impatient may not give you the time you deserve.
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees